I've heard that a lot from friends, family, online strangers...
Why bother? What for? Why spend a month hunting for misplaced pieces of metal that happen to have "In God We Trust" stamped on them?
I guess I can understand. I mean, to be fair, I don't really expect to end November able to retire to a small tropical island, so why would I both spending 30 days keeping an eagle-eye out for monetary crumbs?
Well, I'm curious. Isn't that the beginning and ending of all experiments? It's why Franklin flew kites in the rain and the Wright boys tinkered with bicycles and wings. Old Ben wasn't looking to create a world dependent on light switches and power lines. Orville and Wilbur didn't foresee the whole world having to make transfers in Atlanta. They wanted to see what would happen if they tried.
In my case, I want to know just how much is overlooked. Our economy is struggling back to life. Sure, it's doing better in some places than others, but here in my corner of Central PA, the economy hasn't been a booming, growing thing in almost 100 years. Unemployment isn't an abstract statistic here. It's a cultural tradition. And yet, tanning salons flourish and satellite dishes bloom like dandelions. It makes you think a lot of pennies are being overlooked somewhere.
So I'm hunting for them. I want to know just how much unaccounted-for wealth gets walked over, sat on, and otherwise dismissed.
Ten million? Probably not. But I'm betting it's a lot more than most people think.
No comments:
Post a Comment